Tuesday 19 April 2011

Broad bean, pea and artichoke orzo


When I look at this selection of vegetables I automatically think of 'Risi e Bisi' but I have no risotto rice or even bomba (Spanish paella rice).  I could make a 'Vignole' but I had that last night with black pudding.  I have a couple of artichokes in the fridge, a courgette and half a tin of anchovies.  I search through the cupboard and come across a packet of orzo.  A pasta that resembles barley, which is what its name means in Italian.  I ponder for a moment on how to go about it, I don't want a glutenous mush at the end , yes it is possible to cook it in the same way as a risotto.  So in the selection of vegetables I have the following

handful each of rocket, spinach, broad beans and peas 
sprig each of fresh parsley, rosemary and mint. 
2-3 fresh, green garlic,chopped
wild asaparagus, chopped
2-3 artichokes, prepared and cut into small pieces
1 courgette, finely sliced
olive oil
4 anchovy fillets
2 dried cayenne peppers
parmesan
1 onion, finely chopped
juice of half a lemon
300 g orzo

Firstly, make a vegetable stock from all of the vegetable trimmings, strain and have at a simmer at the side of frying pan for cooking the pasta.  Gentle fry onions in olive oil, when they are soft add artichokes and courgettes and continue cooking for 5 minutes, pour in lemon juice.  Add garlic, anchovies and dried chillies, fry for 2 minutes then add pasta.  Gentle fry pasta for a few minutes until it is coated in oil and starts to take colour, add laddlefuls of stock little by little with a pinch of salt.  Cook for 3-4 minutes then add the broad beans, peas, rocket, spinach and aparagus, add another laddle or two of stock, stir in parmasan, turn of  heat and cover with a tea towel for 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment